Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Activities - Arizona







While we were in Arizona we took the opportunity to enjoy lots of fun and interesting activities. We want to share with you some of the highlights to give you an idea of the variety of our experiences. Mark enjoyed the hiking club and almost every Friday morning took off for a new hike to explore the beauty and sites of the surrounding areas in Arizona (photo 1). Luckily, the hiking club had a cancellation on their hike down the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch. We drove the RV to the campground inside the park. We hiked around the rim (see photo 2) the day before Mark hiked down. It is an amazing site to see! Spring Training is a big event in the Phoenix area. Friends of ours at Palm Creek, Tom and Ann Earley, two baseball nuts, invited us to go with them to a game in Surprise, AZ. As luck would have it the KC Royals, our old home team, were playing the Seattle Mariners. Photo 3is Ann and I enjoying the game. But I had to add photo 4 for all of our KC friends so they could see a final score with the Royals as the big winners. Palm Creek has lots of activities every month but the most memorable for us was the Cancer Awareness Event. Mark and I both played in the Cancer Awareness tennis tournament. The park activities office sold luminary bags for you to decorate in memory of a loved one or in honor of a cancer survivor. With both of us having lost a parent to cancer, Mark decorated a bag for his Dad, Reggie, and I did one for my Mom. The night before the event the streets of the park were literally aglow with thousands of luminaries (See photo 5). My Dad and I were thrilled when we found the one I had decorated for my Mom!! And, last but far from least, we always seek out local wineries for wine tasting. One of our favorites, South of Tucson is Sonoita Vinyards (See photo 6). Although my favorite wine from Arizona is "Naughty Monkey"! As you can see, we had lots of fun during our stay in Arizona and always had something to do and something fun and exciting to look forward to.

No comments: