Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Palm Creek RV & Golf Resort - January - April 2015

Our winter quarters, in Casa Grande, Arizona are filled with daily activities that include things like tennis, golf, pickleball, line dancing, water aerobics, etc.  But, there are always those special events that occur through out the season.  This blog covers these wonderful additions to our already full calendar.

Early in January, I invited the ladies on our street to join me for the Palm Creek Fashion show.  We enjoyed a great lunch and a fun presentation.
From left to right: Arlene, Danielle, Cappy, Joan, Gwen, Angie and Gail - I'm taking the photo!

 
February always opens with Cancer Awareness events.  This year's hot air balloon glow was again an outstanding success.  That vibrant butterfly balloon was made by hand!
 
Mark and I both lost a parent to this dreaded disease so we contribute handmade tributes to our parents to add to the thousands of luminaries that literally light up the park!
 
Mark and I played in the Palm Creek Cancer Awareness golf tournament with our new neighbors, Joan and Bernie.  Joan and I went to Little Caesar's pizza to collect our winnings and share our pizza dinners with our neighbors. Imagine our faces when they thought we printed our own winning certificate!  That's an experience we will never forget.  This year we all wore a special black ribbon in memory of our dear neighbor, Terry Lampshire who passed away in December. Mark's ribbon is on his hat, Joan's on her sleeve and Bernie and I have it on the front of our shirts.
 
While I'm speaking of Joan, on March 20th Joan, who took up golf only a few years ago, hit a hole in one on the par 3 eighth hole at San Miguel golf course.  Lots of celebrating and Joan followed the tradition of buying drinks - oh they even bought pizza for the happy hour crew!
 

 
The Hopbush and Friends Cancer Awareness Team, Arlene, Kathy and I went to Barro's pizza to thank them for donating 50% of the price of their pizzas to Cancer Awareness.  Jan Masselink made the wonderful poster that everyone signed.  Its so great when a community comes together!
Kathy Cayer Daigle, me, Eric, manger of Barro's pizza and Arlene with Jan's poster
 
Speaking of Arlene, on February 18th Arlene and I took the park trip to ASU's Gammage theater to see Dirty Dancing.  The show was fabulous, the acting was exemplary but the staging was just outstanding with the use of video to make it look like the actors were on scene in the Poconos!  To top it off, the actress who played "Baby" looked exactly like Jennifer Grey.
 
Mark and I bought tickets for the Champions Tour Golf Tournament to be played at Tucson Omni National Golf Course.  We figured as we lived so close to Tucson we should go play the course before we go and watch the pros take it on.  If you have never played golf in the desert you have to marvel at the size of the jumping Cholla cacti.  If you get close it appears to jump right on you with ridiculously sharp barbs - Ugh!  We stay far away from these guys.

 
I have never missed a Grandparent's day at my granddaughter's school and even though I knew I would see them in April in Disneyworld I couldn't break my record.  As always I was blown away by the quality of the education the girls receive.  We even had a family outing to see Annie and I caught some great shots of the girls running through the fountain.
Top Row: Family photo, Chase leading her class presentation, girls in the fountain
Bottom Row: Chase interviewing me, Avery making delicious cake and girls in the fountain.
 
On March 17th we met our friends from Kansas City, Rick and Joyce, as they were taking their 5th wheel from Tucson to Phoenix.  We had never been to the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument.  So we met there and enjoyed a ranger talk on the history of this ancient native American dwelling.   Translated, Casa Grande, means Great House.
 
On March 22nd we got the opportunity to watch some famous senior golfers like Freddy Couples, Tom Watson and Rocco Mediate play golf.  They did something very different, they opened the course and let the crowd walk the fairway to the final green.  We usually pay outrageous prices for food at these events.  Imagine our surprise when we got Hamburgers for $2!!  And they were delicious burgers cooked on the grill with all the fixings.
 





 
At the end of March our neighbors and good friends, Cappy and Jim Townsend joined us to see "Chicago" at the ASU Gammage theater.  The theater is another amazing structure designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

 
 
Speaking of Cappy and Jim, to close out the season Cappy and Jim sponsor a block party.  We play double elimination ladder golf and then enjoy one of the most amazing pot luck dinners!   This year the temperatures were getting up there.  Our neighbors Danielle and Jacques came up with a unique mister.  Yup, its an irrigation hose strung across the street.  It did one amazing job of cooling off a large area in the street.  Oh what fun!
 
We also had Tuesday night girls night out movie night, a great super bowl party, the annual homemade donut party at Roger and Joan's, birthday parties at the Bistro and loads of happy hours.  Another wonderful season at our winter quarters in sunny Arizona.
  

1 comment:

Joyce Ann Brown said...

What fun to be included in your blog post. You two are so busy with fun activities that I can't believe you have time to post such well-written and illustrated blog posts. Have a terrific summer.