Thursday, November 3, 2011

September 25- October 2 - New Jersey

We did our early morning departure to avoid as much traffic as possible in this leg which took us from Connecticut, through New York over to New Jersey.  We did pretty well until we hit the Tappan Zee Bridge and they had one lane closed for a bicycle event.








We went over to see my Dad on his 88th birthday.  I know I took photos of him wearing the WWII Submarine Veteran cap we got for him at the Submarine base he went to during WWII. But, I cannot find it.  I am so sad :(.

We took my Dad out for a stroll down memory lane.  First stop was the house I grew up in when we lived in N.J.  I was 9 years old when we moved into this house.  My Dad planted this crab apple tree in the front yard and it was only about 6 feet tall.  The house looks exactly the same, but the tree sure has grown - can it really be that long???







We stopped at the Penn Queen Diner and took my Dad for lunch.  My Mom and Dad went to the Penn Queen every Thursday, which was my Dad's day off .  How could we miss this one on this trip down memory lane???

I just had to make a stop at Pennasuken High School, my alma matar.  Mark graduated in a class of about 42 so this put my high school experience into perspective.  Ellen, Linda and Phyllis, my girlfriends from High School - this one is for you!!








Also, had to make a stop at the elementary school I graduated from - I still remember jumping rope on this blacktopped area during recess.  It is amazing that these memories are over 50 years old - how can that be???









We ended the stroll down memory lane with a stop at the building that used to house my Dad's Tool Rental Business.  It is now a real estate office.  I remember working there one summer.  I learned all about scaffolding, ditch witches and all kinds of assorted tools.









The week was full of family dinners and a little golf.  Sad to say I got so caught up in the events that I forgot to pull out my camera.  Oh well, I'll try and do better next time.

We had a much needed relaxing week in New Jersey and now its time to pack up and head south to our next stop Washington, D.C.

No comments: